Reading Artifacts Summer Institute
August 15-19, 2011
- Canada Science and Technology Museums Corporation
- Collection and Research Branch and Conservation Services
Discover alternative historical perspectives and methods in the midst of Canada’s largest collection in science, medicine and technology. Our annual artifact sessions in the CSTM storage facility bring together Canadian and international scholars from across the disciplinary spectrum. Participants immerse themselves in our collections gaining renewed appreciation for artifacts and the multiple, unpredictable stories they tell.
Guest faculty for 2011:
- Dag Spicer, Senior Curator, Computer History Museum, Mountain View, California, USA
- Cindy Stelmackowich, Faculty-Lecturer, Art History, School for Studies in Art and Culture, Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada
The READING ARTIFACTS SUMMER INSTITUTE is for:
- Graduate Students
- Faculty interested in teaching history through artifacts
- Scholars seeking to expand their research methods
- investigate artifacts, trade literature and photographic collections as resources for research, teaching, and the public presentation of history
- work with leading collection scholars in a national museum setting to explore material culture methodologies and approaches
- use artifacts as the centre of discussion and hands-on group examinations
- learn the basics of conservation, cataloguing and developing collections in local environments – a growing resource in liberal arts programs.
Location: Canada Science and Technology Museum, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Dates: August 15-19, 2011
Tuition: Students $250. Post-Docs $350; Faculty and Professionals $450
(includes breaks, lunches, and a field trip)
* Students can apply for financial assistance. Send requests and budget after registration and acceptance.
The Situating Science Cluster is proud to have contributed to student travel for RASI 2011.
Register here (deadline: June 17th, 2011): Limit of 30 participants
For further information contact David Pantalony at: email@example.com
Join our Google Group at: http://groups.google.ca/group/reading-artifacts-CSTM